Perhaps one of the most important choices in every tourist's life.
The volume of the backpack. Determined by the duration of the autonomous part of the route. The golden mean for most of our routes is 85-95 liters. Important! To personal belongings in a hike with a group will add about 30 liters of group gear. Take care of this space in advance.
When staffing your backpack take into account every gram: squeeze out extra toothpaste, pack clearly on the list of equipment, do not take anything unnecessary. If you are not a professional photographer, then in campaigns lasting more than 10 days a large camera is not recommended. Weight of public equipment is calculated as follows: tents and campfire equipment - about 2 kilos, food - 500 grams per day per person. Weight of your backpack without boots and poles for a multi-day hike should not exceed 13 kg. If it is more, consult the hike leader.
This is the part of the backpack that rests directly on the back of the hiker and distributes the weight of the equipment.
In a modern backpack it is rigid, anatomical, ventilated and adjustable. Rigidity is given by aluminum
plates - "lats", so the soul tourist a little knight and ready at the chance to carry a second backpack for the lady.
Backpack size can be selected by its length (S, M, L) or by adjusting the height of the straps so that most of the weight of the backpack is placed on the belt and hips. Hence the division of backpacks into women's and men's models.
Some manufacturers have straps that are also adjustable in width.
Methods of adjustment:
-continuous. Heavier in weight, but more accurate than the step;
-Combined. It is used in rucksacks by Osprey.
Backpack back length - the distance from the base of the waistband to the attachment point of the straps - is equal to the distance from the shoulder to
shoulder to pelvic bone.
Important: We strongly recommend choosing a backpack with an adjustable backrest only.
Backpack adjustment sequence:
Bottom Up Principle.
1. 1. Slip the backpack on. Loosen the shoulder straps and loosen the waist belt;
2. Position and retract the belt at the level of the pelvic bones;
3. Pull the shoulder straps toward the back. The backpack sits firmly on your shoulders, but does not squeeze. Leave a 2-3 cm gap between shoulders and shoulder straps;
4. 4) Protivotkid - a mysterious sling over the shoulder straps. They are responsible for stabilization of the top part of the backpack. Tighten without fanaticism, so the back of his head is not hitting the valve;
5. 5. Chest strap. Used if necessary: narrow shoulders, technically difficult route, or as you wish.
Depends on variety of hiking life, route complexity and flight of fancy.
- Side pockets. For water tank, tent poles, etc;
- Removable, height-adjustable flap with interior pockets. Ideal for first-aid kit, documents, and various small items;
- A lower flap. Usually used for a sleeping bag.
- External pockets: front pockets, front mesh pocket. For sorting things on the trail by purpose or storing wet and dirty clothes separately;
- Belt pockets. Put your tracker, phone, snack, etc;
- Direct access to main compartment.
Materials and Fittings.
Pay attention to comfort, reliability and durability. The sliders and fasteners should work clearly without jamming. Backpack material should be resistant to mechanical damage.